We are committed to safe fitness programming at Sunwave Fitness so we have created an easy to remember acronym to encourage and remind our clients to use proper posture during exercise as well as their daily activities.
PARCS is an acronym for engaging several importune large muscle groups so they can work together to support each exercise. Think of engaging or contracting these muscles like a wave from the bottom of your pelvis up to your shoulders and neck. This helps to safely target muscles you want to work and protect other joints, especially your spine.
- Pelvic Floor contraction or pulling up on the pelvic floor muscles. This is sometimes called kegelling.
- Abdominal contraction or pulling in your belly like you would if you wanted to do up the button on a tight waistband.
- Rib elevation or lifting your rib cage. This helps to straighten the middle of your back since those back muscles must work to lift your ribs.
- Chest opening or stretching by gently retracting or squeezing your shoulder blades together.
- Shoulders pressing downwards and lengthening your neck.
By maintaining PARCS you will get much more out of your workouts and improve your overall posture!